Saturday, December 1, 2012

Updating

If your looking for a bit more information on our Little Farm, you can always pop over to
www.countrygirlwearsflipflops.blogspot.com and read our past adventures.

Things have changed over this last year.  We have done a bit more farm improvements including; a bigger garden area, a new chicken coop, painted the barn red, put in drainage using the excavator around the barn, shop and garden. 

Kris remodeled our bedroom.

We have 9 head of beef.  This spring we had 3 calves drop.  A girl we named Patches, and 2 bull calves, that are now steers.  On that note, I learned a thing or two about banding bull calves and how much fun it is to watch my husband chase a spunky 3 day old calf down!

I raised and butchered my first flock of meat chickens this past May.  I was so proud of myself.  I look forward to my next Spring batch.  I plan on canning most of the meat.  I have to say it turned out wonderfully!!

I have 9 laying hens, that are still very entertaining to watch.

My garden this past Spring and Summer I was very happy with!  I was able to preserve some of it that we are still enjoying.  I hope to even go bigger next year adding more fruits.  I am trying my hand at "overwintering" a few things. We have very wet winters so we will see how it goes.  I lost some of it to bugs, deer and my chickens. But that's ok.  I will be harvesting some cabbage here soon. Mmmmm cabbage, beer and deer sausage! That may be on the menu this week!! 

Since it's fall going into winter and not to much happening on the farm I will post pictures and a little blurb to this last season. 

I'm already smiling reminiscing this last spring and summer.  Awe, the excitement of finding a new calf!  The fulfillment of harvesting my first batch of broilers.  Picking green beans to immediately go into the canner. Kris bringing home fish from our local river.  Oh boy Spring Fever is setting in already.  Ok gotta go.  Enjoy your Saturday!

I love my farm life!

4 comments:

  1. Renee I'm so glad your back. I would stop in and check to see if there were any updates that I missed inbetween my being absent!!! I can't wait to read more about what you've been up to!
    Welcome back to blogging! And your right, this is your journey in life and who cares if the punctuation isn't right, it's life!! Thanks for posting a comment on my blog, that prompted me to come check out what you were doing!!
    You can print off your other blog and turn it into a book too, did you know that?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! You made my day when I read your comment! I even did a happy dance :)
      I'm excited about getting back into blogging and sharing my adventure with you and others that part of the farming craziness!
      I didn't know that I could print it off and turn it into a book. I will have to check into that!!
      Again Thank you for the warm welcome back! I enjoy your blog very much!

      Delete
  2. PS I can't find a follow button anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHH! I'm feeling a bit lost here on Blogger. Things have changed. Do you know how I could add the follow button? If not, I guess I will have to take some time playing around on it and figure things out.

      Delete