Thursday, December 20, 2012

Staples from scratch?

Over the last couple years I get better and better about eating more local foods. But I still have a long way to go.  It easy to eat local during the summer months when everything is in full gardening season.  But doing this "Dark Days Challenge" has really got me thinking outside of the box....or can.  Even though my pantry has jars of beautifully home preserved green beans, carrots, tomatoes, applesauce, pears, peaches...etc...  I still have staples like cream of mushroom soup and packaged gravy mixes.  But after looking up a recipe for Raw Milk Yogurt.  I saw a list of recipes of things that can easily be made in replacement of those store canned foods. 

I'm not going to lie, I have a mini inside freak out, thinking of how am I going to make the time to cook even more from scratch?!  I feel as if I am stretched as it is.  But it truly is something important to me. So I'm going to do my best making the time to plan ahead, recipe search and take the extra time to do it.  One of my goals for 2013! 


Above is a picture of my home grown meal from this summer.  The steak was from our steer, the salad was a variety of home grown lettuces with snap peas, radish pods and garnished with a nasturtium. Gorgeous! 

No comments:

Post a Comment